A quick and easy addition that give any meal a touch of herbal fancy!
Compound butter ingredients:
- 1/3 cup of fresh chives, chopped
- 1 TB fresh lemon zest
- 2 sticks of salted butter
- A couple chive flowers (if you’re growing it in your garden this shouldn’t be tough to find)
- 1 clove garlic, grated
Instructions for making compound butter:
- Use butter at room temperature. Don’t heat it in the microwave as it won’t pull together well.
- Rinse and dry the chives and flowers, and chop or snip into small pieces
- Put all ingredients (saving the flowers for last) in a bowl and mix thoroughly using a spatula or large spoon
- Scoop the butter mixture onto a sheet of parchment paper or waxed paper and roll it into a tube shape. Twist the ends tight, then wrap in plastic wrap
- Place the butter into the refrigerator until it becomes solid
If you’re planning a special dinner, you can make shaped personal butter molds for guests using candy molds or silicone molds. To get them out out of the mold cleanly, place the butter molds in the freezer after filling. They’ll pop out easily when solid.
Slices of this butter served on a plate alongside warm dinner rolls will be a welcome touch! So fresh and a definite change from the expected.